[ltp] wireless config problem (TP40 SuSE 9.2 ipw2100)

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 5 Dec 2004 16:48:19 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004, Tim Prince wrote:

> At 12:56 PM 12/5/2004, Eben King wrote:

> > > I can ping the default gateway (as reported when in Windows) by IP, so I
> > > added that IP to the wireless card configuration in YaST, but I still
> > > don't get beyond the (Windows) machine which is directly attached to
> > > the router.  /etc/resolv.conf is left empty.
> >
> >If your LAN looks like this:
> >
> >( internet )
> >  router (A)
> >   Windows
> >machine (B)
> >   you (C)
> >
> >then A is B's gateway, and B is C's gateway.
>
> I used the same gateway IP as the T40 uses when it is booted up into
> Windows, with the Dell Windows laptop shut down.

What does that gateway address point to?  Also, if you can use DHCP in
Windows, why not use it in Linux?  Also, without using DHCP, if
/etc/resolv.conf is empty, names not in /etc/hosts won't be resolved.

   Your pretended fear lest error might step in is like the man who
   would keep all wine out of the country lest men should be drunk.
                                                 -- Oliver Cromwell