[ltp] IBM to sell its PC business

Jeffrey L. Taylor linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 4 Dec 2004 09:48:12 -0600

Quoting Sample User <micah_death@hotmail.com>:
> I have an IBM Thinkpad 760XL - still kickin' =)  (Made in 1997)
> (Using it now to send this e-mail - gotta love IBM for quality)
>
> What will be the best laptop to buy when this happens? (Assuming the brand
> thinkpad goes down the drain =(
>
> Would Mac compare?

IMHO, yes.  If Apple had a 14" PowerBook, I probably would have ended
up with one.  I went back to the store several times, peered at it,
hefted and still felt that a 15" wide screen was just too big to lug
around.  Plus I would have had to buy an new briefcase/backpack to
carry it in.  The additional $70-$100 plus the Apple premium price
even over an IBM was just too much.

My wife, not a computer geek, correctly surmised that I would spend
hours getting Linux running on the Thinkpad.  Where as the Mac would
work out of the box.  SuSE 9.1 and then 9.2 installed surprisingly
problem free (T41).  Everything is working except for the hard disk
protection and the security package.

Jeffrey