[ltp] IBM to sell its PC business

James McKenzie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 06 Dec 2004 00:59:18 -0700

James Knott wrote:
> ash wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 15:07 -0600, Sample User wrote:
>>
>>> I have an IBM Thinkpad 760XL - still kickin' =)  (Made in 1997)
>>> (Using it now to send this e-mail - gotta love IBM for quality)
>>

>>                             Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express
>> 5.50.4133.2400
>>

>> Not for linux, though...? ;)
>>

> A few years ago, I was running Linux on a similar model, the 760ED.
> Worked OK, but I'd imagine it's not fast enough for current distros.

James and ash:

I've run just about every M$ OS on a 760ED (I did not do the install of
XP, but I do know that it 'ran'.)  I've also run OS/2 3.0 and 4.0 on it.
  We also installed, in multi-boot, RH 7.3 and RH8 on it.  It was a
tight fit, but it booted and ran RH better than M$ 2000.  Unfortunately,
I don't know what happened to the 760ED as it went to a starving college
student.
I do have a 600E that I've run just about everything on, and that was
the first system I ran RH on.  I since moved up and onto an A22p.  I've
been looking at a new system, but this one works and will do for now.

James McKenzie