[ltp] Re: Copying Files

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 13:24:47 -0500

On Monday 06 December 2004 12:53, after a long battle with technology,
Eben King wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Volker Braun wrote:
> > Large file support is standard today, and
> > files under 2 TB should not make any problems.
> I ran into the 2 GB limit using partimage (although I don't think
> it's at fault) from the System Rescue CD (0.2.12, from 2004-3-23)
> just yesterday.

Was partimage writing to a FAT32 or ReiserFS 3.5 filesystem?  Those 2
filesystems have inherent 2G filesize limits AFAICT.  ReiserFS 3.6 has
a 2T limit, and nobody should be using ReiserFS 3.5 anyway.  partimage
will automagically split its image files into chunks of size N if you
tell it to do that; that can be handy for burning junk to CD or working
around the FAT32 limit.  Set N to 699M, use k3b or mkisofs/cdrecord to
burn all the image files partimage generates, profit.

The only problem is finding enough disk space to store the temporary
files.  That may not even be a concern since IIRC there's some way to
have partimage pause after it's finished writing a chunk of size N.
Then you can invoke a script (or whatever) to burn the file to CD,
delete that part of the image file, resume partimage, iterate until
everything's been burned, and things are cool.

--
   Due to inflation, your 40 acres and a mule have now been reduced to
   400 square feet and a guinea pig.