[ltp] Re: Copying Files

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 14:44:50 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Matt Graham wrote:

> On Monday 06 December 2004 12:53, after a long battle with technology,
> Eben King wrote:
> > On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Volker Braun wrote:
> > > Large file support is standard today, and
> > > files under 2 TB should not make any problems.
> > I ran into the 2 GB limit using partimage (although I don't think
> > it's at fault) from the System Rescue CD (0.2.12, from 2004-3-23)
> > just yesterday.
>
> Was partimage writing to a FAT32 or ReiserFS 3.5 filesystem?

NFS, and the underlying filesystem was reiserfs 3.6, I believe;  anyhow,
I've made 4+ GB DVD images on it.

> partimage will automagically split its image files into chunks of size N
> if you tell it to do that;

Yeah, I did that, to get around the problem.  Nade them half as big, put
two files where I had planned to put one, presto.

> The only problem is finding enough disk space to store the temporary
> files.

I have a 12 GB partition that's largely unused, and a duplicate partition
on my backup drive, so I can keep one level of "undo".

> That may not even be a concern since IIRC there's some way to
> have partimage pause after it's finished writing a chunk of size N.
> Then you can invoke a script (or whatever) to burn the file to CD,
> delete that part of the image file, resume partimage, iterate until
> everything's been burned, and things are cool.

I want to burn to DVD (it would take about 12 CDs, and only two DVDs),
with parity files for error correction.  Don't think I can do it at one
go.

          Q: What kind of modem did Jimi Hendrix use?
          A: A purple Hayes.