[ltp] Copying Files

SOTL linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 7 Dec 2004 08:48:37 -0500

> You could use disk recoverly tools to search for the start of a partition
> or if you can guess the values if you can rember the sizes (This is easier
> than you might think). The end of the partition/length is not so important,
> set it to the complete rest of the disk! The filesystem knows how much
> space it is using... so its fine if your just reading. Also Only mount the
> disk partitions read only.
>
> James

Well scratch another idea - dd.

Does anyone have any idea of which tools may prove useful in recovering MS
word and excel files from a fat32 partition.

Lets explain the system a bit.
hda1  10GB         Primary NTFS  Windows XP System with NO Data
hda2                    Extended
hda5   15 GB        Secondary      fat32        Data
hda6   150 MB     Secondary       ext2         /boot
hda7   8 GB          Secondary      ext2         /
hda8   1 GB          Secondary      Swap
hda9    10 GB       Secondary       ext2       /home

Linux system is is up and functional and is Mandrake 9.1.

hda1 Windows XP is trashed and will not boot.
hda2 will not mount to Linux system or Knoppie is used.

Corruption occurred with installation of restore disk by my clicking correct
partition table.

System has been successively restored in past by restore disk by clicking NOT
to correct partition table.

When corruption occurred only 2 partitions were modified before restore disk
was removed so corruption was limited to two partitions.

Sorry but I was having a bad week. Broke my hand that week too so this was not
the worst of it.

Anyway, myself or the local linux club members were not able to correct or
surmount difficulty of mount hda5 at last Linux club meeting.

Object is to move data from fat to ext2 partition where data may be placed on
CD.

Given that I have running Linux system on disk some linux tool may be
applicable.

If NO linux tools are usable then tools need to be floppy or CD based as
Windows system is hopeless.

Thanks

Frank