[ltp] Copying Files

SOTL linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 7 Dec 2004 13:31:46 -0500

On Tuesday 07 December 2004 11:18, Bert Haskins wrote:
> Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
> >Quoting SOTL <sotl155360@earthlink.net>:
> >[snip]
> >
> >>Does anyone have any idea of which tools may prove useful in recovering
> >> MS word and excel files from a fat32 partition.
> >>
> >>Lets explain the system a bit.
> >>hda1  10GB         Primary NTFS  Windows XP System with NO Data
> >>hda2                    Extended
> >
> >This last line seems odd to me.  Usually the extended partition is
> >hda4.  This may be why Linux gags on it.  IF you have a copy of the
> >disk to play with, see if you can change it to hda4.
> >
> >HTH,
> >  Jeffrey
>
> This may be way out of line here but:
> On more than one occasion I have had  fc2 change my hard drive from LBA to
> something else and windows was hosed.
> This is a known bug in fc2.
> It's very simple to check, just boot up into your bios and make certain
> that the drive
> says LBA.
> If not, change it to LBA

I do not know if this is relevant but I am currently using that box which is
my Thinkpad.

How is that possible simply in desperation I purchased a second HD and
installed Windows and Mandrake 10.1 on it as per the previous partition table
with modifacation of size this being a 100 GB drive, all that I could obtain,
versus 50 GB which has the daqta on it.

Question if the bios was mess up would the second HD functon?

Frank