[ltp] 2100 Wireless on X31, upon 2.4 to 2.6 migration

Allen Knutson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 7 Dec 2004 11:40:10 -0800 (PST)

I'd put off installing wireless until migrating from a 2.4 to 2.6 kernel.
I don't have an optical drive (in- or ex- ternal) so it's been tricky,
particularly diagnosing the hid->usbhid stuff, but I seem to have a
working 2.6.9 system now. (And boy, it _is_ zippy, the hype is true!)

Anyway, I request help getting wireless working, using the ipw2100 driver.
I'm following the detailed instructions at
	http://frealek.dotnode.com/blog/view/177
and so far can successfully "modprobe ipw2100". But "iwconfig eth1" gives
	eth1      no wireless extensions.

I have all the kernel modules I'm supposed to, according to
	http://dev.gentoo.org/~brix/papers/X31/X31.html#sect-kernel-wifi
. I used the ipw2100-firmware-1.3-1.fr.noarch.rpm.
I modified /etc/rc.sysinitrc to say "kallsyms" everywhere it said "ksyms",
which is apparently a 2.4->2.6 change necessary to get hotplug working.
I have no idea if it is; certainly there was an /sbin/hotplug before I
started, but there's no /etc/rc.d/init.d/hotplug, and
	http://linux-hotplug.sourceforge.net/?selected=net
is not particularly specific about what I should about it (or whether).
So I suspect it's that; certainly I never used hotplug before to my knowledge.

Off-topic: people talk here about the reliability of Thinkpads; am I
the only one whose case is cracked? Basically under where my palms would
rest (but don't -- no jokes please about "don't press so hard"). I end up
supergluing it once a month or so.
								Allen K.