[ltp] T42 wireless (ndiswrapper)

Josh Kuo linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 07 Dec 2004 12:31:37 -0800

--=-khnqLmvVFjIuhPSqFwVm

After doing 'modprobe ndiswrapper', this is what I see in
/var/log/messages:

kernel: ndiswrapper version 0.4 loaded

Thanks for the pointer to ipw2200/2100 project, but I am trying to avoid
any kernel recompilation, since I need to do this on several machines
and I don't want to be packaging my own kernel RPM.=20

On Sat, 2004-12-04 at 20:49, Jason wrote:
> Hi there,
>=20
> 	Did you check the output of dmesg after doing "modprobe ndiswrapper"?
> That might give additional useful information.
>=20
> 	Are you sure that you are using the correct driver for the wireless
> card in your laptop? I'm not sure what the T42 uses (it might even have
> multiple options for the wireless card, when you order?)
>=20
> 	If it's the Intel Centrino wireless, you might also check out the
> ipw2100 project, which is a native driver, removing the dependency on
> additional Windows drivers.
>=20
> Jason
>=20
>=20
> On Sat, 2004-12-04 at 19:44 -0800, Josh Kuo wrote:
> > Hi all:
> >=20
> > I am trying to get wireless working on a T42 laptop. I have followed th=
> > instructions on http://www.stanford.edu/~sanjiv/thinkpad/ndis.html and
> > http://web.bii.a-star.edu.sg/~kuobin/linux/wireless.html.
> >=20
> > I am using Mandrake 10.0 Official, and I have downloaded the appropriat=
> > RPMs. I basically did this:
> >=20
> > ndiswrapper -i w22n51.INF
> > ndiswrapper -l (to make sure it is there)
> > modprobe ndiswrapper
> >=20
> > Now according to these articles, I should be able to do 'iwconfig' and
> > see my wireless device, but it doesn't show up.
> >=20
> > I have gone as far as creating a file named
> > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0, but still, it does not see
> > it.
--=20
Josh Kuo <josh.kuo@prioritynetworks.net>

--=-khnqLmvVFjIuhPSqFwVm