[ltp] T41 dual monitor FC2

nate linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 07 Dec 2004 17:44:06 -0500

I've had some success in FC2 getting dual monitor to work. I enabled
dual head in the Display settings window. That gave me my lcd at the
proper size, and my 17" crt monitor at 800x600 to the right of my
laptop. I needed that switched, which (though irrelevant) is just drag
in windows. However, I did modify the xorg.conf to say "leftof" instead
of "rightof" and I've been somewhat happier. But 800x600 makes me feel
trapped, so I'm hoping to fix the resolution on the crt. I read in the
man page for xorg.conf that doing ctrl-alt-(numpad_-) will cycle through
all the settings that are possible in the xorg.conf. However, I am a bit
confused because what happens is my crt will turn off, and my lcd
monitor decreases in resolution. That means that the line

 >Screen      1  "Screen1" LeftOf "Screen0"

tells me Screen1 is my crt, and Screen0 is lcd. But down lower xorg.conf
says:

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device     "Videocard0"
    Monitor    "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth     16
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     16
        Modes    "1400x1050" "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864"
"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen1"
    Device     "Videocard1"
    Monitor    "Monitor1"
    DefaultDepth     16
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     16
        Modes    "1400x1050"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Which means my crt should be at 1400x1050? It's at 800x600... (erm, I
checked, but I forgot how, but it's obviously smaller than my lcd)
Should I just slap on "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768"
"800x600" "640x480" to the Modes for Screen1 and hope for the best? What
am I missing here? The entire xorg.conf is posted below for reference.
Thanks,
Nate

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Multihead layout"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    Screen      1  "Screen1" LeftOf "Screen0"
#    Screen      0  "Screen0" RightOf "Screen1"
#    Screen      1  "Screen1" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    Option        "Xinerama" "on"
    Option        "Clone" "off"
EndSection

Section "Files"

# RgbPath is the location of the RGB database.  Note, this is the name
of the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").  There is normally
# no need to change the default.
# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.
    RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
    FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load  "dbe"
    Load  "extmod"
    Load  "fbdevhw"
    Load  "glx"
    Load  "record"
    Load  "freetype"
    Load  "type1"
    Load  "dri"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
#    Option    "Xleds"        "1 2 3"
# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
#    Option    "XkbDisable"
# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
#    Option    "XkbModel"    "pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
#    Option    "XkbModel"    "microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
#    Option    "XkbLayout"    "de"
# or:
#    Option    "XkbLayout"    "de"
#    Option    "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
#    Option    "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:swapcaps"
# Or if you just want both to be control, use:
#    Option    "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:nocaps"
#
    Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    Driver      "keyboard"
    Option        "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option        "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse0"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option        "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option        "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option        "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

[...]