[ltp] Question on APM vs ACPI

Satish Balay linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 7 Dec 2004 22:14:31 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Nathan Kurz wrote:

> I'm trying to understand this myself.  It seems that throttling is
> only possible under ACPI, but that frequency scaling is independent of
> APM/ACPI.  It also seems that scaling has a much larger effect than
> throttling on power consumption.  My impression is that SpeedStep is
> the combination of these two.  Is this accurate?

What is the difference between 'throttling' and 'freq scaling'?

'speedstep' is a implemented as kernel module - and is primarily
controled by a userland daemon (for example cpuspeed). And I don't
think it has anything to do with APM or ACPI (although - it can
repsond to some events triggered by APM/ACPI daemons)

I've been using this from APM since FC1 on my T40 (P-M)

> I also haven't found anyone who has fully working APM suspend
> support.

What is your definition for a 'fully working APM suspend'?

APM suspend has been working for me for ever with every RHL version
(since 7.0?)  (and now every FC version). This is my expericnce on a
600E & a T40

Satish