[ltp] Question on APM vs ACPI

Satish Balay linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 7 Dec 2004 22:56:09 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Brian D. Ropers-Huilman wrote:

> I happen to use cpuspeedy by hand:
> ibis root # cpuspeedy min
> cpuspeedy: CPU speed is now 600 Mhz (35%)

> I simply have not looked into cpufreqd or cpudyn enough to know what
> they are doing or how.

I'm currently using cpuspeed (default in FC3) - and have used cpudynd
(with FC1) and both change the CPU frequency dynamically - based on
CPU load. They also accepts manual control as you indicate with
'cpuspeedy'.

For eg:(with cpuspeed on FC3)
# killall -USR1 cpuspeed
# grep MHz /proc/cpuinfo
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1600MHz
cpu MHz         : 1594.856
# killall -USR2 cpuspeed
# grep MHz /proc/cpuinfo
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1600MHz
cpu MHz         : 598.071
# killall -SIGHUP cpuspeed
<back to dynamic control>

BTW: I was earlier using gkrellm-cpufreq plugin to see the 'dynamic'
change in freq - and now with gnome - I use 'gnome-cpufreq-applet'
which shows the 'dynamic' changes.

Satish