[ltp] Question on APM vs ACPI

Satish Balay linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 7 Dec 2004 23:23:27 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Nathan Kurz wrote:

> > What is your definition for a 'fully working APM suspend'?
>
> I'd call fully working suspend the ability to suspend to ram (S3) and
> to disk (S4) both from the command line and based on hardware events
> (low battery, lid close).

Ok - I only use 'APM-suspend' (equivalent to ACPI-S3) - but not
Bios-hibernation support to Fat32 (equivalent to ACPI-S4) - as some
list subscribers here have managed to do. Personally - I never had a
need for it as APM-suspend works fine for me.

> I'd be happy for hints on replacing it with APM.

Well - I've been using stock fedora kernels on the T40 - without any
tweaking. (but your criteria is different - requiring S4)

Satish