[ltp] Question on APM vs ACPI

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 01:03:10 -0500

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 21:29:17 -0700
Nathan Kurz <nate@verse.com> wrote:

> I've found many people with earlier kernels having success, but
> haven't seen reports of success from people using this kernel.  I now
> have ACPI working pretty much the way I would like, but it still feels
> messy and complex.  I'd be happy for hints on replacing it with APM.

2.6.x kernels have been a wash for me too with regards to APM suspend on
my X22.  The funny thing is - APM *hibernate* works just fine with that
kernel.  Thankfully, I need suspend to disk a lot more than I need suspend
to RAM.

On older kernels - APM does seem to work a lot better on 2.4 series
kernels and on older Thinkpads.  On my X20, APM suspend and hibernate work
flawlessly with a 2.4 series kernel.  (If my X22 would have been as
well-behaved, I'd probably be running it with a 2.4 series kernel as well,
but ...)

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/