[ltp] Copying Files

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 03:40:36 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:

> This used to be a (N+2)-booting system.  It currently is a (N)-booting
> system.  hda2 and hda3 existed in the past.  They were not copied over
> after a partial disk failure.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I do "If it ain't broke, fix it until it is."

> To avoid breaking /etc/fstab in several of the bootable root partitions
> (at least hda6 and hda10, at the moment), the partitions were not
> renumbered

That's why I haven't renumbered my partition table either.  Yeah yeah, you
can refer to partitions by label, but then if you want to know later
what's on /dev/hda5, /etc/fstab won't help.  Scrambled partition tables
work.

CANCER:  The position of Jupiter says that you should spend the
rest of the week face down in the mud.  Try not to shove a roll of
duct tape up your nose when taking your driver's test.  -- Weird Al