[ltp] Re: IBM to sells its PC buisness update

morpheus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 09 Dec 2004 02:01:41 -0500

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 19:40 +0100, Benjam=C3=AD Villoslada wrote:
> El Dimecres 08 Desembre 2004 19:27, Eben King va escriure:
> > Which is more standard?  From somewhere I get the impression (possibly
> > false) that UTF-8 is Redmondian.
I haven't heard the Redmond connection...UTF-8 has an IETF RFC and is a
variable-byte representation of Unicode.  Of course, being variable-byte
it is a bit more difficult to deal with than fixed-byte character
encoding, but it does allow backward compatibility with ASCII.
UTF-16 is also variable-byte, but uses two bytes for the first 65535
chars. of Unicode.
UTF-32 is fixed-byte and can represent all of Unicode, but at 4 bytes
per character it's pretty inefficient unless you regularly use the
Unicode characters with high code numbers.
They are all defined by IETF RFCs, not sure if there's a Redmond
connection.