[ltp] kernel semi-newbie question

Bob Alexander linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 09 Dec 2004 10:26:40 +0100

Dear friends,
I am a little frustrated.

Since I wanted to test ACPI now that APM since to works almost aok, and
I have read that the ibm-acpi extensions are now in the latest -mm
patches I thought I wanted to try the latter.

So here is what I am trying to do:

1) download a full 2.6.9 source tree
2) download the latest 2.6.10-rc3 prepatch and apply to 2.6.9
3) download the 2.6.10-rc2-mm4 patch and apply to 2.6.10-rc3

Problem #1: while patching step 2 after a lot of stuff scrolling I get

File to patch: Skip this patch? [y] Skipping patch.
(Patch is indented 10 spaces.)
File to patch: Skip this patch? [y] Skipping patch.
(Patch is indented 10 spaces.)
File to patch: Skip this patch? [y] Skipping patch.
(Patch is indented 10 spaces.)
File to patch:

what I am doing wrong ?

Question #1) Do I understand correctly that -mm patches are to be
applied not to the current stable branch but to the prepatch ?

Question #2) As mm patch is called 2.6.10-rc2-mm4, can I apply it to a
2.6.10-rc3 tree or it has to be EXACTLY the rc level mentioned in the mm
name ?

Thank you very much,
Bob