[ltp] kernel semi-newbie question

Bob Alexander linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 09 Dec 2004 16:34:53 +0100

Eric C. Cooper wrote:
> After looking at your your wiki page, I think you're using the kernel
> source rather than the patch file as input to the patch command.

Eric,
you are a genius !!! I should have noticed the relative size of the
2.6.9 kernel and what I thought was a patch file : 35 MB !!! :)

I feel idiot !

> The --dry-run option to patch is helpful to make sure things go right.

Of course.

> Note that you can rename the source directory after patching; it
> doesn't have to match what's in the patch file (that's what the -p1
> option is for).  And you can simpley rename the directory using "mv",
> rather than "cp -rl":

Yes this is very clear and I know.

The cp -rl does something a little different.
In this way you leave your original tree intact, create a new source
tree made of hard links therefore not really "copying" anything, but
when you patch the patched files will live only in the new tree so that
you will have two different source trees with only the needed hard disk
space overhead.

Thank you so much and have a great day.

Bob