[ltp] help with tpb and osd

Nathan Kurz linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 00:11:40 -0700

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 10:58:17PM -0800, Sarvin Coachbuilder wrote:
> I have an IBM X30 and I'm running kernel 2.6.8 w tpb installed.  I can
> see changes, as a regular user, when I issue the command tpb -v and
> press volume, mute, or ThinkPad button. I have installed xosd, but can't
> figure out how to get the tpb to actually display anything.  I have
> searched linux-thinkpad with google extensivly, and have lurked here on
> the mailing but I just can't seem to find a solution.  Any help or
> pointers would be appreciated.

I've got an X30 with 2.6.9, and have on screen display working just
fine.   My approach was simple:  install xosd from source, then
install tpb from source.  Tried it, and it worked.   So it should
definitely be possible.   How (from where) did you install them?

First guess would be that either xosd is not correctly installed, that
tbp was somehow compiled without xosd support, or that you have a
configuration file that specifies no on screen display.  Could you try
an explicit '--osd=on'?  Then maybe 'strace tpb 2>&1 | grep osd' and
see if you see a line like 'open(.../libxosd.so.2)'?

--nate