[ltp] help with tpb and osd

Nathan Kurz linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 01:07:12 -0700

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 11:39:40PM -0800, Sarvin Coachbuilder wrote:
> > First guess would be that either xosd is not correctly installed, that
> > tbp was somehow compiled without xosd support, or that you have a
> > configuration file that specifies no on screen display.  Could you try
> > an explicit '--osd=on'?  Then maybe 'strace tpb 2>&1 | grep osd' and
> > see if you see a line like 'open(.../libxosd.so.2)'?
> >
> > --nate
> > --
>
> I'm running Gentoo, and emerged both tpb and xosd.  Admittedly I emerged
> tpb before xosd.  I'm not sure how to use '--osd=on' do I issue that
> with tpb from the command line?  I have to admit I'm new to Linux and am
> trying to learn.

Yes, the '--osd=on' options would be added to the command line when
you start tpb.  First off might be to read the man page for tpb.  In
linux, most all programs have an online manual that accompanies them.
To read the manual for tpb, type 'man tpb'.

Ther order you installed them probably shouldn't matter, but it
wouldn't hurt to uninstall tpb and reinstall it to see if it just
starts working.  Otherwise, you might look at the configuration file
for tpb, which can probably be done with: 'less /usr/local/etc/tpbrc'.

Good luck!

(and being new is no problem)

--nate