[ltp] ide-cd module and boot messages question

Bob Alexander linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 09:56:24 +0100

Looking at the boot messages while they scroll I see some lines like:
module ide-cd
module ide_cd not found
or the other way around
and the same thing for
ide-detect, ide_detect

now modules are always been elusive for my feeble mind :(

Question 1: On my Debian system I cannot find a file/command to see ALL
messages generated upon booting. dmesg shows many but not all and
grepping through the /var/log directory for instance does not find any
reference to either ide-cd or ide_cd

Question 2: what configuration curse yelds the follwing behaviour ?

t40:/var/log# modprobe ide-cd
FATAL: Module ide_cd not found.

Here is my resulting lsmod:

Module                  Size  Used by
radeon                135524  2
ipt_state               1856  2
ip_conntrack           47028  1 ipt_state
iptable_filter          2880  1
ip_tables              18560  2 ipt_state,iptable_filter
ipv6                  259840  10
snd_intel8x0m          18888  1
usbhid                 25280  0
ehci_hcd               30020  0
uhci_hcd               33040  0
usbcore               119140  5 usbhid,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
e1000                  86916  0
nls_iso8859_15          4544  1
ntfs                  103984  1
nls_iso8859_1           3968  1