[ltp] External mouse problems

Joachim Schrod linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 13:17:29 +0100

>> WRT the APM suspend-to-RAM, try rmmodding the hid and usb-uhci
>> (uhci-hcd) modules before suspend, then modprobing those modules on
>> resume.  Read the man page for apmd_proxy and edit your distro's
>> apmd_proxy script(s) to make that happen.  HTH,

BA> Re the rmmod, here is the list of the modules when the external mouse
BA> works and I have no hid module but usbhid,ehci_hcd and uhci_hcd:

BA> Module                  Size  Used by
BA> radeon                135524  2
BA> ipt_state               1856  2
BA> ip_conntrack           47028  1 ipt_state
BA> iptable_filter          2880  1
BA> ip_tables              18560  2 ipt_state,iptable_filter
BA> ipv6                  259840  10
BA> snd_intel8x0m          18888  1
BA> usbhid                 25280  0
BA> ehci_hcd               30020  0
BA> uhci_hcd               33040  0
BA> usbcore               119140  5 usbhid,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
BA> e1000                  86916  0
BA> nls_iso8859_15          4544  1
BA> ntfs                  103984  1
BA> nls_iso8859_1           3968  1
BA> nls_cp437               5632  1
BA> vfat                   14656  1
BA> fat                    46240  1 vfat

I needed to remove just the ehci-hcd module. Please note that this is
with a 2.4 kernel. In particular, this is SuSE 8.1, with a
self-compiled 2.4.27 kernel. I added:

      # Unload USB module that doesn't resume properly.
      # Stop hotplug system.
      rchotplug stop
      modprobe -r -s ehci-hcd

to the suspend case in /usr/sbin/apmd_proxa, and

      # Reactivate USB hotplug system. This should also reload
      # the ehci-hcd module. Well, sometimes it doesn't -- but maybe
      # the module did not get unloaded on suspend? To make sure, we
      # check if it's there and unload it anyhow.
      if lsmod | grep '^ehci-hcd' >/dev/null ; then
         modprobe -r -s ehci-hcd
      fi
      rchotplug restart >/dev/null

to the resume case. Then it worked.

Btw, when I plug in my USB mouse for the first time after booting, X
will not notice its arrival. Changing to a text console and back to X
triggers the recognition.

Cheers,
	Joachim

--
Joachim		     The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the