[ltp] 3Com PCI 3CCFE575BT Cyclone CardBus in a TP 765L

Fri, 10 Dec 2004 15:49:28 +0100

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 08:30:37 -0600, wes schreiner wrote:
> Tino Keitel wrote:
>
> >Hi folks,
> >
> >I tried to use a 3Com PCI 3CCFE575BT Cyclone CardBus card in my TP 765L
> >and didn't had any success. After the card gets recognized and
> >configured, it always breaks after some traffic.
> >

> I have a similar, but slightly newer, 3CCFE575CT Tornado CardBus card
> that I use in a 600E. Since I use it often I build the driver into the
> kernel rather than have it as a module. I'm not using 2.4.28 yet, I'm
> still on 2.4.27 with Debian's patches and the 2.4.26 low latency patches
> applied. I've used many kernels in the 2.4.x series and I've never had a
> single problem with this card.
>
> >These are the log
> >messages:
> >
> >cardmgr[433]: socket 1: 3Com 3CCFE575B/3CXFE575B Fast EtherLink XL
> >kernel: cs: cb_alloc(bus 4): vendor 0x10b7, device 0x5157
> >cardmgr[433]: executing: 'modprobe 3c575_cb 2>&1'
> >cardmgr[433]: + Warning: /lib/modules/2.4.28/pcmcia/3c575_cb.o symbol for
> >parameter rx_copybreak not found
> >

> >I don't know if the missing rx_copybreak symbol is the reason for this,
> >

> I think it might very well be a symptom of the problem. Can you try
> rebuilding your kernel with 3c59x built in? If you do that and the
> rx_copybreak isn't found your kernel won't link, and then you can start
> troubleshooting that problem. Or maybe it will just work.

The kernel driver won't work this way because I can not use CardBus
cards with the kernel driver. The reason is that the CardBus controller
in the TP 765L uses ISA interrupts or something, which isn't supported
by the kernel implemenation of the cardbus driver. However, the
pcmcia-cs driver will work fine. There is a workaround for this
this also resulted in a broken network.

Regards,
Tino