[ltp] programs take much too long to start

Joel Ebel linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 10:21:06 -0500

I had a problem similar to this.  It could be completely different, but
I'd recommend checking it out at least.  My problem was that while my
hard drive worked, it was exceptionally slow reading a large percentage
of sectors.  I never got the hard drive to fail the Hitachi drive
fitness test, so I had a hard time getting IBM to replace it, but they
finally did.  The problem was evident when I ran the system speed test.
  I ran it off the ultimate boot cd, but you can download it by itself
and run it from a DOS floppy.  Here are the results from my full hard
drive test:

http://moses.sca.ncsu.edu/~jbebel/scratch/FULLTEST.bmp

You can see where the read speed is supposed to be, and you can see how
awful my drive was in some places.  My replacement drive is nice and
smooth where you would expect it to be.

This could be something entirely different from your problem, but
finding this and getting a new hard drive made me feel like I had a
brand new laptop.  I'd been operating with a terrible hard drive for
quite some time.

Of course, I also recommend periodically running the full Hitachi drive
fitness test.  And memtest.  It's good to give you hardware a checkup
every now and then.  I found an intermittent RAM error in one of my
memtests too.  It never noticeably affected me, but when the RAM got
hot, it would cause some errors.  I got IBM to replace that too after a
bit of an argument.  They really like their PC Doctor Diagnostics.  But
I've had three problems that PC Doctor Diagnostics was incapable of
detecting.

Good luck
Joel