[ltp] programs take much too long to start

Matthias Himber linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 16:00:06 +0100

--nextPart3111552.d37FRk3bC4

Am Dienstag, 14. Dezember 2004 15:39 schrieb Moritz Karbach=20
mailinglist-at-karba.ch |Linux-Thinkpad|:
> Hi all,
>
> maybe you got an idea:
>
> Sometimes almost all programs on my Thinkpad R51 take much too long to
> start. That is for instance about 20s for starting vi. After this long ti=
me
> the programs operate just as normal.
>
> This happens both for root and my user. Normally the problem is gone, if I
> just do a reboot. Strace doesn't tell something useful to me. If I start =
vi
> on the "real" console (ctrl+alt+f1), it works normally.
While the delay is not as high on my T40p, I have seen a similar effect. It=
=20
seems to be due to powersave software spinning down the harddisk, so if=20
anything needs to be read from HD, the system just freezes up for up to 2=20
seconds. Try checking your powersave settings.
HTH,
	Matthias