[ltp] programs take much too long to start

Tue, 14 Dec 2004 16:34:05 +0100

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 15:39:10 +0100, Moritz Karbach wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> maybe you got an idea:
>
> Sometimes almost all programs on my Thinkpad R51 take much too long to start.
> That is for instance about 20s for starting vi. After this long time the
> programs operate just as normal.
>
> This happens both for root and my user. Normally the problem is gone, if I
> just do a reboot. Strace doesn't tell something useful to me. If I start vi
> on the "real" console (ctrl+alt+f1), it works normally.

export | grep SESSION_MANAGER

Maybe this variable is set and vi (I guess you mean vim in this case)
tries to use an X server, which it can't for some reason, and waits for
a timeout. In this case, just unset this variable.

Regards,
Tino