[ltp] Dial Up, Dsl, & Wifi Connection

Cougar linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 23:38:03 +0200 (EET)

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, James Knott wrote:

> Eben King wrote:

> > > I for one wouldn't complain if you'd post them here :-D
> >

> > But I don't see why you'd have to take down the interface of the one you
> > don't want, instead of setting the one you want as the default gateway.
> >

> I suppose I could have, but it just seemed simpler, to turn off any unused
> interfaces.

And why is this better than scpm where you just have to start
'scpm switch newprofile' and you are done. If there are different network
configs in different profiles then it does 'rcnetwork stop' with old one
and 'rcnetwork start' with new profile.

Good thing is that you can choose right profile during boot time, ie you
don't need to log in as root to configure your network when booting system
up. Also, if you choose the right configuration and network goes up, you
don't need to wait for dhcp requests or any other task that is not
necessary in this time.

It is ok to use scripts of course but why to do that if you can do it in
"standard" way or even better :-)

---
Cougar