[ltp] Dial Up, Dsl, & Wifi Connection

Cougar linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 23:57:41 +0200 (EET)

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, James Knott wrote:

> Cougar wrote:
> >
> > And why is this better than scpm where you just have to start
> > 'scpm switch newprofile' and you are done. If there are different network
> > configs in different profiles then it does 'rcnetwork stop' with old one
> > and 'rcnetwork start' with new profile.
>
> I have found that scripts are faster than profiles.

Thats true if you look absolute values. I just tried to switch from one
WiFi profile to another and it took 6.5 sec (checking old profile changes
takes most of time). Depends on how you usually need to switch profiles.
If you need to choose right profile only during boot then I'm sure that
scpm is faster (because it does it automatically).

I personally can wait some more seconds (up to 10 usually) because I don't
need to switch profiles more than 3-4 time a day (home WiFi - work eth0 -
work WiFi - home FiWi). This doesn't mean that scpm fits for everyone but
it is worth to try at least.

---
Cougar