[ltp] Dial Up, Dsl, & Wifi Connection

SOTL linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:57:41 -0500

> And why is this better than scpm where you just have to start
> 'scpm switch newprofile' and you are done. If there are different netwo=
rk
> configs in different profiles then it does 'rcnetwork stop' with old on=
> and 'rcnetwork start' with new profile.
>
> Good thing is that you can choose right profile during boot time, ie yo=
> don't need to log in as root to configure your network when booting sys=
tem
> up. Also, if you choose the right configuration and network goes up, yo=
> don't need to wait for dhcp requests or any other task that is not
> necessary in this time.
>
> It is ok to use scripts of course but why to do that if you can do it i=
> "standard" way or even better :-)
>
> ---
> Cougar

Once several years back there was a program in RH 5.X and 6.x which allow=
ed=20
one to do precisely what the scripts he is implying do with the added=20
advantage that one had a nice GUI  feature which allowed one to monitor t=
he=20
various networks. Nice feature it worked.

Then some damn group of idiots decided that was to simple because the pro=
gram=20
worked and decided to make what is now known as profiles which of course =
do=20
NOT work.=20

That is the advantage of the scripts we are discussing one can configure =
them=20
and they work.=20

No necessary to attempt to configure anything, reload programs or any of =
the=20
thousand of fiddling things that are required to make those damn profiles=
=20
function half ass as one NEVER gets them to work correctly.=20

I have a mandrake 9.1 system that uses those profiles. The only method I =
have=20
figured out to date, after 2 years, that will reliability allow me to use=
 the=20
DSL line in the office and my phone line at home for dial up is to reload=
 or=20
update the system to switch from DLS to dial up.

As far as choosing profiles at boot one should ask why one needs a profil=
e in=20
the first place when all one had to do in the past was place a icon on th=
e=20
screen which allowed one to open a window and then one could choose how o=
ne=20
wanted to connect to the internet. That way one does not need to reboot t=
o=20
switch internet service much less reload the system

Frank