[ltp] programs take much too long to start

morpheus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:41:46 -0500

> > Second, i can add foolish things that don't exist at all to my PATH and
> > it wouldn't slow down my machine at all.
>
> Things that exist but take a while to mount can delay execution:

Yes, I experienced this directly which is why I posted the advice.  It
is not foolish things that cause the problems, it happens when you have
a directory on a file system that used to be mounted, then was
unmounted.  Try opening a console and cd to an NFS mount or removable FS
like /mnt/cdrom, then from another console unmount it.  Now, whenever
you execute any command it waits to time out on the unmounted
reference...That's not to say this is the problem in this case, but it
does happen.