[ltp] there is even more to it! (Re: HOWTO - acpid and ibm-acpi on a T42p)

morpheus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:23:11 -0500

> I suggest you add "experimental=1" to this.
> That way you can play with all the lights on the thinkpad. You can even
> use the Power-LED for something sensible, e.g. let it flash when new
> mail has arrived.
Nice one!  I haven't had the time to play yet...I have to work first ;^(

> > For the T42p, the ibm-acpi /proc/acpi/ibm/video cannot be used to turn
> > the LCD backlight on and off.  Fortunately there is a package called
> > radeontool that can do this.  You can apt-get it or get an RPM from
> > rpm.pbone.net.
>
> Ha! It is way simpler than you think. Just use
>
> xset -display :0 dpms force standby

> That way, the light goes back on as soon as you strike any key or use
> the mouse. I prefer that, personally.

Cool...though I usually shut off the LCD in dual head when I'm not using
the panel, so I don't want it to come back to life when I accidentally
mouse over to it, but this is a nice alternative for those who want a
screensaver-like functionality.

> I have also appended a script that prevents accidential shutdowns when
> pressing the power button by opening a requester, asking you what to do.
I normally have to press and hold the power button for a few seconds to
get it to shut down...is that only the T42p?