[ltp] there is even more to it! (Re: HOWTO - acpid and ibm-acpi on a T42p)

Thomas Breitner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:28:32 +0100

Hi,

very good idea with your friendly powerbtn-script! I send it to the
debian-maintainer of acpid as a suggestion and mentiond your name as the
author.

Why didn't you use zenity for displaying the message-boxes? It seems to
be more recent and actively developed within the gnome-releases.

Is it possible [for the script] to figure out if suspend-to-ram or
suspend-to-disk is configured on the machine, and then only display the
buttons which fit the *capabilities* of the machine?

Greetings,
thomas

Am Mittwoch, den 15.12.2004, 15:53 +0100 schrieb Fionn Behrens:
> Am Dienstag, den 14.12.2004, 18:15 -0500 schrieb morpheus:
> > Hi,
> > After lots of trial and error, I managed to get ibm-acpi working with
> > most of the Fn-Fx keys on my T42p.  Here is a simple HOWTO:
> >
> > First, compile and install ibm-acpi, which you can get from http://ibm-
> > acpi.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > Click on README for installation details.
> >
> > Don't forget to do:
> > # modprobe ibm_acpi
> > to enable the module after installation.  Also, if you want it to
> > automatically enable in Fedora all the time, edit /etc/rc.d/rc.local and
> > add the line above to this file.
>
> I suggest you add "experimental=1" to this.
> That way you can play with all the lights on the thinkpad. You can even
> use the Power-LED for something sensible, e.g. let it flash when new
> mail has arrived.
>
> Appended as an example is an S3 script that lets the sleep light BLINK
> while going to sleep and while waking up. Nifty! ;-)
>
> > For the T42p, the ibm-acpi /proc/acpi/ibm/video cannot be used to turn
> > the LCD backlight on and off.  Fortunately there is a package called
> > radeontool that can do this.  You can apt-get it or get an RPM from
> > rpm.pbone.net.
>
> Ha! It is way simpler than you think. Just use
>
> xset -display :0 dpms force standby
>
> That way, the light goes back on as soon as you strike any key or use
> the mouse. I prefer that, personally.
>
> Appended as an example is an action script "blank.sh"
>
> I have also appended a script that prevents accidential shutdowns when
> pressing the power button by opening a requester, asking you what to do.
> It also catches misled events when you wake up the system using the
> power button (and certainly dont want to shut it down then). For this to
> work you need the "gmessage" package installed.
>
> Have fun!
>
> Fionn

Thomas Breitner

mail@tombreit.de   |   http://www.tombreit.de