[ltp] HOWTO - acpid and ibm-acpi on a T42p

morpheus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:41:18 -0500

> > to enable the module after installation.  Also, if you want it to
> > automatically enable in Fedora all the time, edit /etc/rc.d/rc.local and
> > add the line above to this file.
>
> If you want to enable the Fn-Keys, make sure to also pass "hotkey=enable"
> to the ibm_acpi module (either as an option to modprobe or by adding it to
> /etc/modprobe.conf

Yes, you are right...the ibm_acpi README is a bit vague on this, but if
you want access to specific hotkeys, you can do:
echo enable > /proc/acpi/ibm/hotkey
echo 0xffff > /proc/acpi/ibm/hotkey
after modprobe ibm_acpi

(where ffff is a bitmask for the keys as described in the README)

> Instead of touching a file, you can simply query radeontool itself for the
> light status. Here is what I use to determine this (derived off a
> suggestion made by Konstantin Filtschew <mailoperator@uni.de> in this
> list):
Cool, I didn't know that you could get status by not specifying any
options.  My method has the disadvantage that if the light comes back on
by itself, the file isn't deleted so you must press Fn-F3 twice next
time to turn it off again.  The disadvantage of your method is if
radeontool doesn't return the proper value (i.e. always returns "on"
even when it's "off") you can never get it to come back.  Have you found
the radeontool light status value to always be accurate?  The "appears
to be" is kind of scary...

-m