[ltp] Freezing T21 with Mandrake 9.0 to 10.0

Lyndon Tiu linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 10:42:55 -0800

Hello,

Hopefully someone on this list has some ideas.

I have an IBM T21 laptop P3-800/650Mhz with 256MB RAM running Mandrake
9.1, 9.2 and 10.0.

I have had this problem where after a few hours of continiuos use on
X-windows, it would freeze and a hard reboot is necessary. It usually
occurs when I am scrolling on Mozilla, OpenOffice, Konqueror or Kmail -
it seems that the common denominator here is scrolling.

The freeze only occurs when under X-windows and not when under a plain
command line console (runlevel 3).

I have checked the RAM and it is fine since I have swapped it with other
fully working laptops.

I have tried various APM/ACPI settings using tpctl to no avail. The
freeze occurs at random intervals and is very hard to reproduce, when it
happens, it happens. It also affects a few different mandrake versions
from 9.0 to 10.0.

Anyone else here had this problem and any suggested solutions?

--
Lyndon Tiu