[ltp] airo driver problem?

Theodore Ts'o linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 22:42:11 -0500

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 10:40:55AM +0100, Stefan Kreisberg wrote:
> I'm running Mdk 10.1 2.6.8.1 on an R32 and got my WEP 128b exncrypted line up
> once, but on next boot I get these faults in my log:
>
> Dec 16 10:34:39 localhost kernel: PC4500_writerid: MAC should be disabled
> (rid=ff10)
> Dec 16 10:34:39 localhost kernel: airo: cmd= 121
> Dec 16 10:34:39 localhost kernel: airo: status= 7f21
> Dec 16 10:34:39 localhost kernel: airo: Rsp0= 6
> Dec 16 10:34:39 localhost kernel: airo: Rsp1= 0
> Dec 16 10:34:39 localhost kernel: airo: Rsp2= 0
>
>  ... and I haven't got a clue of where to adjust things...
>
> It's an old MiniPCI Cisco build-in ...
>
> Anyone ever had the same problem? Or perhaps could point me in the right
> direction?

It happens to me all the time.  At this point, I just curse, whip out
my 3com 802.11 a/b/g wireless card (3CRPAG175) and use it instead.
(Unfortunately, when if you are using bleeding edge kernels as I do,
you frequently find that different wireless drivers break at different
times.  So I've had a Orinocco, madwifi, Prism, and Cisco PC Card in
my laptop bag to deal with different eventualities when one driver
breaks due to some stupid mistake checked into the 2.6 BK tree....)

Unfortunately the airo minipci driver has been flakt for quite some
time.  My guess is that sometimes the hardware gets into some wierd
wedged state, and given that Cisco has never released complete
programming information for that card, we don't know how to reset it
short of doing a power cycle of the system (and even then sometimes it
doesn't fix it; it seems to be pure random chance).

							- Ted