[ltp] Re: suspend-to-disk (ACPI S3?)

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 19 Dec 2004 15:57:05 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004, Andri Wyrwa wrote:

> On So, 2004-12-19 at 10:19 -0500, morpheus wrote:
> > My machine did that at first, too.  Here's how I fixed it:
> > Edit the file /etc/suspend.conf
> Not everyone uses Fedora. ;-)
>
> However, the point is removing networking and usb (the latter shouldn't
> be necessary with 2.6.9 anymore). Also try to switch to console before
> suspending.

I rmmoded all modules I could get to stay gone (that I didn't need), down to
these:

Module                  Size  Used by
sd_mod                 15120  0
ide_cd                 39328  0
cdrom                  38300  1 ide_cd
speedstep_centrino      6152  0
freq_table              4356  1 speedstep_centrino
thermal                12936  0
processor              17320  1 thermal
fan                     4100  0
button                  6672  0
battery                 8836  0
ac                      4868  0
ds                     18564  4
pcmcia_core            61452  1 ds
usbcore               114660  1
rtc                    12728  0
firmware_class         10240  0
psmouse                21128  0

What about those, such as "ds", that say they're used four times, but don't
say by whom?  How do I figure out what to stop/kill?

I couldn't do "cardctl <anything>" until I temporarily re-modprobed
yenta_socket.  I am running 2.6.x, so I shouldn't have to rmmod usbcore (I
rmmoded other usb modules anyway, but it is still used by something and
wouldn't leave).

I guess 2.6.x deals with ATAPI CD writers the same way 2.4.x did -- with
ide-cd, just now it's autodetected.  That module (and friends) wouldn't stay
gone either.

I was on a text terminal (runlevel 3, tty1) this time; I was not in X last
time but that's not important now.

Few things are compiled into the kernel; what I could make modular, I did.

eth0's down, and as you see above, its support modules are not loaded.

I still get the same result from swsusp.

And we never failed to fail / It was the easiest thing to do -- CSN