[ltp] Re: suspend-to-disk (ACPI S3?)

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 16:35:09 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, Brian P. Flaherty wrote:

> Eben King <eben1@tampabay.rr.com> writes:
>
> > What about those, such as "ds", that say they're used four times, but don't
> > say by whom?  How do I figure out what to stop/kill?
>
> I'm pretty sure ds is part of pcmcia.  Rather than rmmod, I use
> /etc/init.d/pcmcia stop.  (I'm running Debian.)

That's the thing, thanks.

> Similarly, I'm using hotplug, so I use /etc/init.d/hotplug stop to
> remove the usb stuff.

Got to make sure hotplug comes up before eth0, as eth0 relies on hotplug to
load its firmware.

> > I still get the same result from swsusp.
>
> Are you using swsusp in the kernel or the swsusp2 patch?

I went and checked out http://softwaresuspend.berlios.de/ ; much nicer patch
than the last time I tried (2.9.1xx, I believe).  Kudos to the developers.
I actually got it to work this time!

I had to compile in (not modularize) the main swsusp2 segment, so it's
present to recognize the hibernating image in swap when the system boots.

Alas, now I get a different lack of success.  When I run "hibernate" (after
modifying /etc/hibernate/hibernate.conf to taste), the machine may do some
stuff that I can't see (no or very little disk activity), then the screen
blanks (backlight on, screen black) after <1 second and it sits there until
I give up and hit ctrl-alt-del, at which point it reboots normally.

Should I have both "swsusp=/dev/hda3" and "swsusp2=/dev/hda3" as kernel
arguments?  Right now I only have the latter.

Am I meant to choose between swsusp (does nothing), echo sleep >
/sys/power/state (also does nothing) and /proc/acpi/sleep (doesn't exist)?
Not using the third is a no-brainer, but how do I decide among the first
two?

--
-eben      ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm      home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar
An ASCII character walks into a bar and orders a double. "Having a bad day?"