[ltp] T22/DVD Mandrake Won't install

SOTL linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 22 Dec 2004 11:54:36 -0500

On Wednesday 22 December 2004 08:46 am, Dave wrote:
> Ya I don't have a floppy drive for this thing. I'll have a look at the
> archive and see if I can find it.
My reference to the archives will not help as a floppy drive is monitory.

> I'll assume this is only a 10.1 issue? Never had a problem with the other
> versions on my 770.
Mandrake 10.0 and 10.1 issue 9.0, .1, .2, .3 work fine.

> I think I might know what else is the problem. I think this DVD/CD drive is
> crapped out.

If so that is another issue. Mandrake 10.x still will not install without
floppie in most Thinkpads. There could be some that it does install in but I
personally am not aware of any which doesn't mean much as I am not a Thinkpad
expert.

Trying a few CDs/DVDs
> and they all seemed to have problems reading the disks. I download the
> first CD for 10.1 and tried to boot that,
> the first CD I created wouldn't boot, the second one, it would, but as it
> was loading up the kernel is came back
> with a error that it couldn't read the disk.

I also have that issue with Mandrake and my Thinkpad. CDs will not install and
if they do install they do not install without generating errors which appear
and cause system crashes. Spent 2 years curshing 9.2 because of that very
issue while 9.1 which I have on DVD installs perfectly. Just could not grasp
the fact that when 9.2 did install if was installing with system errors as
system appeared to run fine but in reality did not.

> So first I have to see what I can do about this drive.
It is not you drive that is the problem; it is the CDs.

You may be better switching to SuSE. I had SuSE installed in this box but
since I do have WiFi and DO NOT have DSL it did not configure networking
correctly.

That is another issue. Both SuSE and Mandrake set up best if you have DSL
connected to the system while installing. For Mandrake one can use either /
or both WiFi and DSL for SuSE if one has both capabilities then one MUST have
DSL connected to correctly configure WiFi correctly.

Frank