[ltp] Re: DVD-RAM on T42p

Fionn Behrens linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 23 Dec 2004 11:42:13 +0100

On Thu 23.12.2004, 01:00 +0100 Thomas Breitner wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> does anybody have an idea about the usage of dvd-ram-media for
> superbay-slim?
>
> i would like to use it as backup-media, but i'm not quite sure if i've
> done it right. and because it's about my backup, perhaps someone can
> confirm my strategy:

[correct UDF preps]

> 3. mount it && write to it && umount it
>
> i'm especially interessted in the filesystem-specification for the
> dvd-ram. is it correct to use udf? are there any cons or pros?

UDF seemed to be a good choice to me too, until one medium developed a
file system error which made every command on some specific directory
(including "ls") issue an error "some.file: permission denied". That
file could no longer be moved, deleted, read or otherwise manipulated.
Recovery impossible, because there is no "udffsck".
>From that day on, I began to use ext2. Just mount it with "-o noatime",
to avoid unnecessary inode updates which tend to wear out the disks
quickly.

It might be a good idea to consider a dm-crypt layer too, to get some
security for the backups.

I recommend the "faubackup" software.

Btw, Saturn has a good RAM offer these days, 3 Panasonics (3x, golden
dye) for about 10 Eur AFAIR.

br,
	Fionn
--
Software patents    -  not allowed in Europe | See whats going on:
Archiving Email     -  patented in Europe    | http://freepatents.org/