[ltp] Firewire Drive and 137GB Limit

morpheus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 23 Dec 2004 14:24:18 -0500

Hi,
This isn't specifically a Thinkpad issue, but...
I've been using an old R32 as a file server, since they come with built-
in firewire (this was a great feature, I don't know why IBM stopped
providing firewire on Thinkpads...maybe they thought USB2.0 was good
enough).

Anyway, up until now I had two external firewire enclosures, one with a
160GB and one with an 80GB HDD, both enclosures came with the HDD
preinstalled.  Recently I purchased two new 200GB drives and installed
them in the enclosures.  The one in the 160GB enclosure works fine, but
the one in the 80GB enclosure thinks the 200GB drive is 137GBs.

Now, I've Googled and discovered that older firewire firmware is not
compatible with ATA-6 and above drives.  Most of the articles cover Macs
and Windows, I've seen very little on Linux.  However, since Linux sees
the other 200GB drive, I'm guessing this isn't a Linux issue.

Many articles on Google mention that Oxford Semiconductor is the main
supplier of firewire chipsets, and I have even downloaded a users guide
to the Oxford Semiconductor Firmware Upgrade Utility.  It has
instructions for installation under Linux...but I can't find the actual
utility anywhere on the net.  Oxford says to go to the OEM's site
(Maxtor in my case, who doesn't support the old enclosure anymore).

Does anyone know the following:
1. How to find out what firewire firmware I have?  lspci only gives the
firewire controller in the Thinkpad.
2. How to upgrade the firmware, and if that will really solve my problem
anyway.

Your help is appreciated.

-m