[ltp] Firewire Drive and 137GB Limit

morpheus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 23 Dec 2004 17:31:10 -0500

> 137.x*10^9 B is actually 128*2^30 B or 2^37 B.  Marketroids call 10^9 B a
> "gigabyte", which breeds confusion in the minds of consumers, because it
> doesn't match up with the powers-of-two environment of computing.  (see
> http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html )

Yes, I remember when we all used powers of two...but that was many years
ago.  The marketers first started going base ten with the first 10 "MB"
drives which were actually 10,000,000 Bytes, or 9.7 MB, but they wanted
that extra digit so they advertised them as "10 million bytes" then
eventually just interchanged MB for "million bytes".

> It is my understanding that your controller does not understand 48-bit
> addressing (only 32-bit), so that limits the maximum addressible size, and
> that the only solution for that is a new controller.  I have not run into
> that problem, because my drives are not that big.
Yes, that's what I understand from Google...I'm just wondering if there
may be a firmware upgrade I can do in the controller that will allow 48-
bit addressing, or if I just need to buy a new controller.

> If you switch ports, same issue?  Are both the drives from Maxtor?
No, both drives are not from Maxtor, and yes, if I switch enclosures
(i.e. switch the drives around) I get the same issue.  I'm fairly sure
this is the 48-bit addressing problem, but wondering if anyone has ever
experienced it and if they were able to solve it with a firmware
upgrade.