[ltp] thinkpad serial killer!

/dev/rob0 linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 25 Dec 2004 11:44:42 -0600

On Friday 24 December 2004 23:34, I wrote:
> I am having a devil of a time trying to activate the serial port on a
> new pair of old Thinkpads I got: 600 (2645-8EU) and 600X (2645-9FU).

It's incredible, usually one would think a serial port these days a
minor thing. Mice use USB or PS/2, and in the rare cases I might use a
modem, it would be PCMCIA. But I really wanted one of these laptops to
work with a GPS ... serial interface.

Looks like I'm going to be stuck selling these and buying something
else. I could get a USB-to-RS232 converter, but I don't want to be
adding more gadgets -- I want to be portable.

> I've been struggling with this for at least a week. Having tried the
> Win95 DOS I am now out of ideas. The tpctl page suggests "setpnp",
> which for some reason I don't have, but I found it in the pcmcia-cs

Also had to recompile the kernel with this:
$ zgrep PNPBIOS /proc/config.gz
CONFIG_PNPBIOS=y
CONFIG_PNPBIOS_PROC_FS=y

No effect. There is still no /proc/bus/pnp:
$ /sbin/lspnp
lspnp: /proc/bus/pnp not available

Strange thing: pnpbios and isa_pnp were not module-capable in my
menuconfig. Seems like I've always had isa_pnp as a module in 2.4.x. I
guess I'll try a 2.4 kernel again ... quite an annoyance to have to
switch back and forth, what with udev and deleted device nodes.

Is there something else that has to be a module before the PnP drivers
can be modular? Nothing on the Device Drivers -> Plug and Play support
menu is shown as "< >" module capable.

> source. After that ... nothing. Thomas Hood says he has the thinkpad
> drivers and tpctl working on a 600X! What am I missing?

DOS didn't work. I found a Win98 bootdisk, which had the same errors
with PS2.EXE as FreeDOS and DOS95 did. A temporary install of Windows
isn't really possible either: I only have '95, which I bet isn't fully
supported, and the hard drives are too small anyway.

One last idea, but I think it's a long shot: is it possible to use the
ibm-acpi driver on these old thinkpads? The site does not list any
600's as supported, and CMOS control doesn't mention setting PnP device
resources, so it looks like uncharted territory.
    or "not-spam" is in Subject: header