[SOLVED][partly] Re: [ltp] thinkpad serial killer!

/dev/rob0 linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 26 Dec 2004 21:32:33 -0600

On Saturday 25 December 2004 11:44, I wrote:
> lspnp: /proc/bus/pnp not available

dmesg, of my 2nd 2.6.9 attempt, reported:
PnPBIOS: Scanning system for PnP BIOS support...
PnPBIOS: Found PnP BIOS installation structure at 0xc00fe700
PnPBIOS: PnP BIOS version 1.0, entry 0xf0000:0xe724, dseg 0xf0000
PnPBIOS: dev_node_info: function not supported on this system
PnPBIOS: Unable to get node info.  Aborting.

Then I set about building a third 2.6.9 kernel. This one was based on
the 2.6.8.1 config posted by Thomas Hood (for his 600X), with a few
additions (mostly more modules.) Rebooted, and ... success!

Something in my Slackware 2.6.9 generic kernel (slackware-current, in
the testing directory) perhaps didn't work with the Thinkpad's serial
port. When I booted kernel #3, the first thing I tried was "setserial
ttyS0", and for the first time, it identified the UART. I didn't have
any other serial devices to try for testing, but the GPS worked.

:)

A little late, but a well-appreciated Christmas present nonetheless.

The problem with the thinkpadpm driver persists; no get_cpu_ptr nor
put_cpu_ptr symbols. Strange that I have almost the same machine and
only one kernel release off of what the author uses, but mine doesn't
work. (I didn't find them in my copy of 2.6.8.1, either.) Are there
Debian-specific kernel patches which have these symbols?

Anyway, as it stands I'm doing pretty well. In my DOS'ing I managed to
get hibernation set up. I've got the functionality I need. Eventually I
might want to play with IR and the mwave modem, but those are low
priorities.

Topicality note: are thinkpad (driver) and tpctl issues on-topic enough
for this list, or should I go over to the tpctl lists at Sourceforge?
    or "not-spam" is in Subject: header