[ltp] Re: suspend-to-disk (ACPI S3?)

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 27 Dec 2004 22:53:17 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004, André Wyrwa wrote:

> > Logo configuration  --->
> > [ ] Bootup logo
> >
> > means I don't see the penguin, and the font (or resolution or something)
> > means I see no border?
>
> Yepp, stupid me, of course if that's off you don't see the penguin.

Well, I didn't reveal that fact, so you can hardly blame yourself for not
noticing.

> > > You could try enabling VESA VGA and disabling ATI Radeon.
> > But isn't VESA much slower (unaccelerated)?  Also, wouldn't I need to
> > change the X video driver?
>
> Yes, VESA is slower, but also supposed to be more reliable than radeon.
> You wouldn't need to change the driver in X, it's (not really, but
> practically) independant.

X is fine, the text consoles are messed up.  Should I still try VESA?

> > > André.
> >       ^
> >
> > Is konsole messed up, or my chosen encoding, or X fonts, or what?  It
> > looks OK in XP(laptop).PuTTY and in Linux(desktop).XFree86.XTerm but
> > appears as a box in Linux(laptop).XFree86.KDE.konsole.
>
> Looks ok here still after you quoted it. So i guess it's a display
> problem in your terminal indeed - except if others experience it as
> well.

Yeah, I started the reply on the laptop (KDE, konsole, etc) and it was a
box, then I postponed it and resumed it on the desktop (plain XFree86,
Xterm) and it was fine.  So konsole didn't _change_ it, just failed to
display it properly.  I vote for a character-set or font issue.

> Sorry, don't know much in this field.

Nor do I, compared to lots of others.

                 Unix is user-friendly; it's just picky
                    about who it makes friends with.