[ltp] Slackware on T42?

joshua timberman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 27 Dec 2004 21:09:36 -0700

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 21:53:55 -0600 (CST), Josh Battles
<josh.lists@omg-stfu.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone, I'm new to the list and I'm thinking about putting Slackware on
> my new thinkpad T42.  It's a 2373JTU with all the standard options.

I made it easy on myself and installed a nie bloated distribution -
Fedora Core 3.  Anyway, I digress.

> I've got partition magic and am planning on making room so that I can dual
> boot with WinXP and Linux.  Is there a way to do this and still retain all
> the access IBM stuff as well as using the WinXP boot loader to load linux?
> I've installed linux on my desktop and I use the LILO boot loader there, so
> I'm in the dark about configuring the windows boot loader.

I don't know if the "hidden" area that IBM has set aside for
rebuilding/reinstalling and such is preserved.  All the "Access IBM"
features will still work in Windows, however.

Whether you use LILO or GRUB for your boot loader, either will
automagically boot to the Windows boot loader if you choose to boot
into Windows.  Otherwise, they'll boot your favorite Linux kernel
image.

I also used Partition Magic to resize my hard drive.

--
prepare for down count.. 5.. 4.. 3.. 1.. off blast!