[ltp] Slackware on T42?

morpheus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 27 Dec 2004 23:59:16 -0500

On Mon, 2004-12-27 at 22:27 -0600, Josh Battles wrote:
> joshua timberman wrote:
>
>   > I don't know if the "hidden" area that IBM has set aside for
> > rebuilding/reinstalling and such is preserved.  All the "Access IBM"
> > features will still work in Windows, however.

I would suggest that you run the "Make System Recovery Disks" utility in
Windows to create a set of CD-ROMs that contain everything that's on the
recovery partition...then you can delete the recovery partition and get
5GB more disk space.  If you're running two OSs, you'll need the space.
Partition Magic can delete the recovery partition and also resize the
NTFS partition, and you should be able to put Linux on the rest.
It you must share data files between the two, you can create a FAT32
partition (the only filesystem I know of that both Win and Linux can
reliably read/write) but keep in mind that FAT32 is not so reliable so I
suggest you run fsck (or Windows diskcheck) weekly.

> > Whether you use LILO or GRUB for your boot loader, either will
> > automagically boot to the Windows boot loader if you choose to boot
> > into Windows.  Otherwise, they'll boot your favorite Linux kernel
> > image.
>
> Well, I'd like to not have to use LILO or GRUB for this install.  I know
> that there's a way to configure the windows boot loader menu to load
> linux.  That's what I'm looking for here.  I've been using linux for
> about 2 years now and I can say that I know a pretty fair amount about
> it, but I'm nowhere near an expert.

Any reason for not using LILO or GRUB?  Both install automatically and
detect your WinXP partition, so there's really no drama involved.
You _can_ set up the WinXP boot loader (if I recall, you right-click My
Computer, go to Properties->Advanced->Startup and Recovery->Settings-
>System Startup->Edit

-m