[ltp] Sound on 600e with Debian Sarge distro

Stan Weddington linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 09:31:25 -0500

Hello,

I have been using Debian Woody on  a Thinkpad 600e for nearly a year now,
and finally got some time to re-install Sarge in it.  I originally fussed
around with the sound, then left it as un-needed, so never got it working in
Woody.  With Sarge, the sound was broken out of the box, but worked -sorta-
after installing alsa-base and running alsaconf... for the first time, sound
was actually heard from the 600e while booted into linux (it dual-boot into
Windoze too), BUT it only played the 1st second or so of sound, then got
stuck in a loop like a skipping record.

Upon Sarge install the sound system was trying to use the cs46xx driver.
Alsa installed the cs4236 driver and I got some sound.  After re-booting,
the cs4236 was gone, and the cs46xx driver was back... and sound was all the
way broke again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stan