[ltp] Hi to all & IBM R50

joshua timberman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 10:58:36 -0700

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 09:21:05 +0100, Emmanuel DOGUET <ml@doguet.com> wrote:

>         For serveur, I'm a Redhat user (Fedora now perhaps) but for my
>         IBM R50 what is the best Linux distribution ?

I would guess that like most Linux-based communities, this mailing
list is made of mostly people who have only used one or two
distributions. As such, most people will only have one or two
recommendations based on their personal experiences.

Choosing a distribution can be daunting given the sheer number of
choices.  Each has strengths and weaknesses and not all of them will
be easy to set up and use, or even maintain.  Not every distribution
will support everything you want to do with your R50.  Some people
will say "You can always tweak and install what you want to make it
work."

Let me tell you though, after 10 years of running a Linux desktop, and
5 years of professionally supporting Linux servers and desktops, not
everyone wants to put in extra time to "make" something work, when
they could use another distribution that supports that feature out of
the box.

Personally, SuSE 9.2 Professional suits my needs better than any other
distribution I've used.  I don't like the "hands on" or "do it
yourself" distributions like Slackware, Gentoo and even Debian.  The
ease of use in this distributions isn't sufficient for me to get
something working so I can use it.  I don't have time to spend
tinkering with kernel configurations and finding obscure packages to
support hardware that is fairly commonplace.

My recommendation for you is to try a few distributions and find which
fits your needs.  I would start with Fedora Core 3, Debian Sarge, SuSE
9.2, Mandrake (10?) and if you are up to it one of those build it
yourself distributions like Gentoo or Slackware.  Good luck.

--
prepare for down count.. 5.. 4.. 3.. 1.. off blast!