[ltp] Slackware on T42?

Josh Battles linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 13:51:16 -0600 (CST)

Bob Alexander said:

> Josh,
> risk starting the same old annoying futile "distro" war :)

I didn't mean to start a distro war, I'm just looking for opinions at this
point.

> AFAIK Gentoo is the most widespread source based distro
> (www.distrowatch.com .. know that site ?). Made for people which loves
> to build everything from the sources eventually tweaking the compilation
> and other things. Gotta have a pretty a lot of free time and love
> watching the compilation of such hulks as X :)

I do like building stuff from source, the compile time isn't really that big
of a deal for me, I don't bring my laptop to work so it can just sit there
for 8 hours at a time.  Being a Slackware user, I'm no stranger to optimizing
for my machine and feel that I get better performance from it for that
reason.  Of course I could just be kidding myself, but I do like the learning
experience it provides.  I think I learned more in 3 weeks with Slack than I
learned in a year with RH.  I'll probably check out the support forums and
the documentation on the website before I decide to go this route anyway,
since it it so much work.  It would certainly be a learning experience and a
challenge though, and that's why I started using linux in the first place. (I
do like a good challenge)

> Debian for many of us is a very good distro. The deb packages are almost
> always very very well built, adherence to many standards (FHS etc.) is
> usually strictly enforced. Installing and upgrading is usually a very
> smooth experience. Support is almost overwhelming (debian-user mailing
> list in these days averages around 80-90 emails a day). With 16000
> packages in the distribution it's a reference :)

That's what I keep hearing from everyone.  I've got a few friends that use it
and they've been trying to get me to switch for a while now, that's why I'm
looking for opinions about it.  I do like the strong support community
though, that's always a bonus.

- Josh