[ltp] Slackware on T42?

Michelle Klein-Hass linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:25:45 -0800

On Tuesday 28 December 2004 10:23 am, /dev/rob0 wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 December 2004 11:06, Bob Alexander wrote:
> > PS Why don't you try Debian sarge instead of Slackware ? If you have
> > a good internet connection use the sarge netinst iso image (around
> > 120MB) and then abandon yourself to the luscious world of
> > dpkg/apt-get/synaptic :)
>
> I don't always see that as an advantage. :)
>
> Actually if I had a decent hard drive on my new old Thinkpad, I would
> have tried Ubuntu this time. I just don't have enough space to dual-
> boot.
>
> Which reminds me ... do you know how to get the Ubuntu Live CD to boot
> on a Thinkpad? Mine (600X, 2645-9FU) boots the Ubuntu install CD just
> fine, but nothing I tried on the Live CD worked. (Checked md5sum of
> ISO, burned it twice, tried all the options, every time it crashed
> early in booting the kernel.)

I was able to get a ThinkPad 570e to boot both to the LiveCD and the
Installer. Basically a 570e is the same thing as a 600x. I was using the
pressed CDs from Canonical, though.

Does your ThinkPad boot with a Knoppix CD-R? You might want to try that.

BTW apt-get *does* have ownage over just about any way of updating a Linux
install. This includes RPM, YUM, and that Mandrake-only thingy whose name
escapes me right now. It's so simple...so Zen. Try it, you'll like it.
--
Michelle Klein-Hass
Box 2273, Van Nuys, CA 91404-2273